Labels

Friday, September 21, 2012

You know, maybe I can rock this Mr. Mom thing after all...

  So, today was Karyn's 3rd rendition of  "Literacy on the Lawn."  This is the activities portion of the Plum Creek Literacy Festival at Concordia University, Seward.  It went off smashingly, probably Karyn's best yet.  I was telling a professor this afternoon that I had attended CUNE for 4 years, and Karyn has done her 3 years leading the "Lawn", yet I had never been on campus during the event.  Thousands of children, making "Baghead" masks, blowing bubbles, playing with parachutes and, yes, throwing shaving cream at each other.  (That one didn't got quite as planned, but hey, they all had fun.)  Karyn is exhausted from her weeks long effort of preparing and executing, and I am proud of her, as always.  Having actually SEEN the chaos, I mean fun, I have to say I am amazed all the more.


 
Now, how does this tie in to Mr. Mom, you ask?  Well, today was my first day with all 3 of the boys, with Karyn leaving at 7:15 and the older two not starting school until 10:20.  I have been anxious about this for a while.  Knowing that the older two can be helpful or extrememly disruptive, and not knowing which I was going to get, was a bit terrifying.  Add in an 8 week old whom I have bottle fed exactly twice and it was scary.

  What a great morning!

  Both big brother skunk and the skunk in the middle proved to be even more helpful than I could have hoped for.  They got dressed when asked, Tim did his homework without complaint.  They took turns helping with Baby Skunk while I got the car loaded up and myself ready to leave.  Even Baby Skunk was awesome.  First of all, he slept until almost 9:30.  Awesome, no other way to describe it.  Then, he didn't fuss, just rooted while I got his Pre-Pumped Fresh Squeezed Mommy Juice warmed up.  Then he ate it all!  Burping, no problem, took 15 seconds.  Then he put on a grin-fest for his brothers whilst I did other tasks.  On the way to drop off the older boys at school, he fell asleep again and stayed that way until nearly 1:15!!!  Yeah, the baby who only takes 10 minute catnaps during the day, was awake for all of 20 minutes of my morning.  If this trend continues, I may apply for full-time Mr.  Mommy-hood. 

  Realistically I know that all days will not be like this.  Heck, very few will be!  But it was a great way to get my feet wet.  Finished off the day with popcorn selling with Big Brother Skunk, the Cub Scout.  And we didn't even have to kneecap any rival scouts.  What a great day.

1 comment: