Labels

Friday, September 7, 2012

Labor Day Weekend, Part Deux (originally posted 9/4/12)

Ok, so like I said, it was an adventurous weekend!  To continue from my previous post…

We woke up early on Saturday and got to work on the important duty of the weekend….fishing.  We had mixed results, pulling in some small cats and sunfish.  Nothing to write home about, but certainly fun.  After lunch, we went swimming and broke out our new play raft for the first time.

We had a ball, even Charlie got into the act.  Charlie by the way is a funny story.  He is technically my brother in law’s dog.  However, Dave moved into an apartment where he can’t really keep Charlie.  My father in law has really wanted a dog for quite a while, but mother in law was resistant.  So, Dave pays his parents “Dogimony.”  It works out great for everyone!
We eventually tired of swimming/rafting and headed back to the trailer for supper and more fishing.  More of the same, though my brand new fishing pole had snapped on the second cast.  On a cast mind you…with just a bobber and a jig on it….not happy.  So Boppa lent me a reel-less rod to attach my reel to.  It all worked out.
Sunday morning began with the ever present fishing.  Better luck this time, but no keepers yet.  After lunch, we headed into North Platte to get a rubbing for the Great Parks Pursuit.  (www.negpp.org/about/ if you are not familiar, it’s awesome)  Then, off to Scout’s Rest Ranch, the home of the great Buffalo Bill Cody.  My eldest is a big history buff, especially pioneer stuff.  He was lost in history for over an hour, and we had a great time ourselves.

That is my youngest, we couldn’t get Timmy on the saddle.  On the way home, we stopped by “The Fishing Store!”  (Walmart), to pick up some tackle.  Daniel, the skunk in the middle, convinced us he needed a new fishing pole.  By some oversight, we did not bring his Superman pole (Which holds the family record, 24″ wiper!), so Karyn found a dock pole for $10 and Daniel was thrilled.  However, as excited as he was to go fishing with his new pole, there was swimming with friends first.  Boppa and I stayed behind to fish of course.  Biggest mistake of the weekend….  We had good luck, caught a ton of sunnies and Boppa caught a bunch of cats.  However, at one point, I had snagged on a rock a few feet from shore.  I walked off to my right a bit and started down the rocks to the waterline to free it.  Next thing I knew, I was sitting in the water.  At some point in between, I apparently had some unscheduled knee surgery performed by a rock with questionable medical experience.  I scraped up my lower back, my left ankle and my right elbow, but the knee was bruising fast and bleeding pretty freely.  Now, I am a trained Combat Lifesaver from my Army days, and I start EMT class in a couple of weeks, so I cleaned it up, and bandaged it.  Boppa seemed to take it worse than I did.  When the boys came back, we had to fish…there was not any option, so I fished!  My knee is still very sore today (Tuesday), but I still think it’s just a deep bruise.
Fishing went spectacularly that evening.  Timmy fished with Boppa and had quite a few cats.  He’s always been intimidated by cats, because their spine are pokey and hurt a lot when you hit em.  However, he unhooked a few of his own.  I was very proud.

Daniel was beside himself with excitement with his new pole.  I still can’t quite trust him to cast, he nailed Grandma with his bobber once, thankfully not with the hook!  So, I cast and guided his pole, set the hook and he reeled them in.  We caught a few sunnies, it was great.

In the morning, we started fishing as soon as we woke up.  Had to use up the rest of the worms, you know…  Daniel had an amazing 30 minute stretch, pulling in about a dozen sunnies and even a 8 in largemouth bass!  He is so into fishing, it’s adorable.  However, our camping experience had come to an end.  We packed up, said goodbye to Boppa, Grandma and Charlie, and headed on down the road.  Hit a couple more post rubbings on the way home, and went to bed super tired.
Back into the routine today.  Grocery shopping, cleaned the kitchen, read some of Treasure Island with Timmy, and currently listening to my Rockies putting a hurt on the Braves.  Tomorrow we tackle my first attempt at making pasta with my new pasta roller/cutter.  The instructions are all in Italian, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment