Labels

Friday, September 7, 2012

I love Cub Scouts....(originally posted 8/30/12)

  One of the best things that has ever happened to me is that last year, I was voluntold to be a Cubmaster.  That means I was not really given the option of saying no.  I love it.  There is just something awe inspiring about watching these boys learn the things that boys just need to know!  I love their silly little songs, their silly little skits and their jokes that are so incredibly stupid that they are awesomely hilarious.   For example, this is one from family camp this summer:

 Knock knock!
Who’s there?
Panther!
Panther who?
Panther no panth, I’m going thwimming!

  I think I have heard this joke approximately 19 bazillion times since June, but it never gets old.  I think it’s hearing a whole passel of boys cackling that makes it great.  Learning to work with 18 boys ranging from first to fifth grade has been a lesson of patience, listening, teaching, singing, and making a complete and total idiot of myself in public.  I wouldn’t give it up for anything!  There is nothing like getting a dozen whipping cream pies to the face in rapid succession to put the world in its proper perspective.

  The hard part is losing boys at the end of the year.  Thankfully most of them cross over to Boy Scouts, but some just fall away.  What makes it easier to bear is knowing that each year, I get to welcome in a new herd.  Being a small town, I’m happy to get 4 new boys each year.  This year we got 5 brand new boys and another who is coming back after a year off.  I think he’s the one I’m most excited about!  We got him back, and he’s a great kid to boot!

  So here’s to another year of the same old jokes, the same old songs, the same plastic spiders/snakes/whatever in my sleeping bag, and the same old blessing of new discoveries!  I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment