Labels

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cub scouts isn't supposed to be filled with drama!

  I can't believe this.  We live in a town of 450 people.  There are 3 cubs scouts here.  Last year, a kid from another town, whose grandparents live here, showed up and sold popcorn to most of the village before we even GOT our popcorn.  My wife ran into them on the street, and the scout's mother said something along the lines of, "Oh, we didn't know there were any scouts here, we won't do it again."  I was under the impression that there was a "rule" that says we are not supposed to sell popcorn in another pack's "market" for the first week of popcorn sales.

  So it was with a sense of dread that i was called by our district executive and told that one of my scouts was selling at Walmart in a neighboring town.  I was ready to drive over there to talk to them, but we didn't have any details.  As it turns out, the scout in question was actually a Boy Scout, and he lives in that neighboring town.  It was discussed, via email, that since Walmart is a large store, with a countywide clientele, and is not actually in city limits, this was ok.  That assuaged my sense of wrongdoing.  Incidentally, when the kid was approached about the situation later, he was VERY upset that he might have broken a rule.  That's the true spirit of scouting, integrity.

  Today, Timmy and I spent the morning selling here in town.  We ran out of a few items, so I ran to get more popcorn.  On my way back I thought, "Hey, we could set up at our local hardware store and catch people as they came in!"  Brilliant!  It's in our own town, so it's ok.  When I pulled up to the hardware store, a cub scout was there selling popcorn.  Not one of ours.  The very same scout as last year....I walked up to his mother and said, "Hi, I'm Rick, I'm the cubmaster of the local pack."  She said, "Call the district executive, we are allowed to do this."  No, oh, we forgot to tell you, or hey, do you mind?  In the kids defense, his grandparents own the store.  But I got a nasty phone call for a kid who lives in Seward selling in Seward, a town of 5,000.  (Which, technically he wasn't anyway.)  So I called said executive and asked him.  He said that he had not given expressed permission.  i was speechless.  He went on to explain that there was nothing he could do.

  Cub Scouts is about doing the right thing.  It's about raising our kids to show courtesy, and respect.  It is NOT about showing our kids how to "get around" the rules, or that if it's not in writing, it doesn't apply.  I am aghast.  Poor Timmy, who was so enthuisastic about selling this morning is completely demoralized.  I'm having a hard time keeping tears back, watching how upset he was.  (I let him play Angry Birds on my kindle, he is in a better mood now.)  I don't know what to do.  I just hope the selfishness of one parent doesn't destroy the fire and spunk of my little salesman.  HE told me this morning, "Popcorn is my favorite thing about Scouts!"  Now, he doesn't want to go.  And that is plain wrong.

1 comment:

  1. ha! Should've had a contest....see who is the best salesman. That might have been fun - cooperation and competition?

    ReplyDelete