Labels

Friday, September 7, 2012

It IS possible to can pure awesomeness... (originally posted 8/28/12)

Last year, at a school picnic, a friend had brought a jar of Peach-Jalapeno jam.  It was served over a whole block of cream cheese, next to a big bowl of Triscuits.  Awesome.  I decided, “I need to try making that!”  However, I took it to it’s logical conclusion, Peach Habanero Jam.  I got the base recipe from the Ball pectin label peach jam recipe, and modified it with some items I discovered on Food.com.    One thing I have found to be critical in canning is mise en place.  That’s a French term that essentially means “everything in it’s place.”  I learned the concept from Anne Burrell in Worst Cooks in America.  Basically, the idea is to have everything cut, measured and placed together, before you even light the stove.  So here is the mise en place for awesomeness in a jar:
Image
Image
The ingredients are pretty straightforward, if you’ve ever canned peach jam.  There are just a couple of twists.
4 c Peaches peeled and chopped (I didn’t peel this batch, I was planning to use my food mill, but I broke it)
1 c Habaneros seeded, veined and minced (I used 1/2 c, my family does NOT handle spicy well, but I do)
  Pause for a little note here.  WEAR GLOVES TO DEAL WITH HABANEROS!!!  I don’t care how tough you are, it sucks.  I also wear a dust mask as I have a habit of constantly touching my face….1/2 c of Habaneros turned out to be about 12 habaneros. 
Image
Image
1/2 Red Bell Peppers minced. (Habeneros are orange, the red shows this is NOT regular peach jam)
2 T Lemon Juice
1 Box Full sugar Pectin
4 c sugar
1 T vanilla
  Add peaches, peppers and lemon juice to stock pot.  Cook on high heat until soft.  Puree peach mixture until it has desired “chunkiness”.  You can use a blender or food mill, but I have an immersion blender.  (BTW, this is the best purchase EVER, $35 at Kohl's Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender (Google Affiliate Ad)).   Add pectin and use high heat to bring to rolling boil.  Add entire measure of sugar.  Return to rolling boil and boil hard for 2 mins.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4″ headspace.  Process in a waterbath canner for 15 mins. 
Image
Image
  I might have to make another batch, I’ve got requests coming in from everywhere!  We also put up a batch of regular peach jam, and a batch of pickles.  Today, Daniel (the 4 year old), and I are planning on peach butter, the rest of the pickles and Pineapple-Peach Salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment