Labels

Friday, September 7, 2012

Do I Really Need Hands (originally posted 8/27/12)

It’s been an adventurous day, to say the least.  It started off with a trip to the VA to pick up this new med they wanted me to try.  When I got there, I discovered they gave me the wrong stuff!  This started a merry gonround between pharmacy, dermatology, and my PCP.  No one could figure out what to do.  So, my wife and I took action.  I’ve decided to stop treatment.
 
  Nothing we have tried thus far has been effective, and the meds keep getting stronger and riskier.  There comes a point where risk outweighs benefit.  My condition may be painful and frankly disabling, but it is in no way life threatening.  It’s not like they are ever going to need to amputate a finger or anything.  I don’t think it is worth it to take meds that have been shown to reduce lifespan.  We’ve learned how to live with this condition, we’ve found different ways to adapt.  I just have to accept that my hands will probably never go back to normal.  I am at peace with that.

 Then to top it off, I got a devil of a steam burn while taking the lid off of my canner tonight.  I was going to post about the day’s canning, but I think it would be safer to go to bed.  I will post it tomorrow, with pictures and recipe, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment